Stills from a multi-colored smoke test in Blender. I tried making it a gif, but it ends up looking like shit (kinda cool if you like glitchy noise, though) so here’s some full-res stills from the animation.
The effect is based on a simple tutorial at BlenderDiplom, and it gives some seriously awesome results. I tweaked the settings and threw on some extras, but the basic setup was the same.
I modeled this virus-inspired object the other night and rendered with Cycles at 2000 samples (still not enough and it took over three hours). I also used a diamond dispersion method created by Kirado.
The more I experiment with Blender and Cycles, the more possibilities come into view. It’s a beautiful thing. Now it’s only a matter of time and GHz…